About Me

My photo
Singapore
Mel. You know me you know me. If you don't. Then try. Cheers. All pics on blog before 2014 are taken on an iPhone. Now using this blog to upload my Olympus EM10 photos.

Wednesday 12 December 2007

Sometimes not having is better than trying too hard.

When Nightwish announced the "sacking" of Tarja Turunen about 2 yrs ago I was happy. But also quite shocked at the same time. Why? Because I know that the female vocals 'sort of' single handedly brought the band to fame. I mean come on. How many really cool metal bands have good looking. Great singing female leads in them that actually sound good? Arch enemy aside. They are in a class of thier own. But with all due respect Tarja Turunen did do shitloads for the band. The music was good no doubt. I loved it. Her singing was good too. But i really grew onto the nightwish sound. Minus the banshee. As I listened on. I wished that Tarja Turunen would just stop singing for them. There are little parts in some songs with the male singing. It was great! And when they finally kicked her out of the band. I was like. "HELL YEAH!"
I though they were gonna put the past behind them and finally step out of the shadows of a banshee fronting the band. Make some real cool music and put some "BALLS" (pun intended), back into an otherwise great sounding band.
Then came the bombshell! They were once again auditioning for Tarja Turunen's replacement! I mean DAMN! They kicked off a great female vocalist. And are looking for another one? What the hell was going on.....
So fast forward a year plus till today. When the new album "Dark Passion Play" http://www.nightwish.com was released, I picked up a copy in HMV and went straight to the testing booth. Well. To cut short the long story. I stopped at the 3rd track. Sometimes trying too hard kicks you back in the face. I never heard worse singing.....

No comments: